Creating Stage Magic

This is my first action project for my STEAM class called Stage Chem. In this class, we looked at the layout of different theaters, the amenities that they have and what makes a good theater. The theater that we look at the most was the Goodman theater in downtown Chicago. For this action project we had to choose a space that we had access to and turn it into a theater for a show of our choice, then turn that into one big blueprint and six smaller ones looking the micro details of the space. I chose to tell the latest story from the Harry Potter world, The Cursed Child, and show it at my house. I had quite a bit of trouble getting all of the measurements for the space, because there are so many rooms with quite a lot of detail. Eventually I managed to get help from other people and I even found a few accurate but time saving tricks to get all of the measurements. I did like the challenge that this project posed, because of all of the work that was entailed, even though I got less sleep than I wanted to while getting it done.

MN (Mar 15 2017) "Dinning Room/audience"

MN (Mar 15 2017) "Dinning Room/Stage View"

To start off, comparing the Goodman theater to my own, just to give some perspective, there are quite a few differences. The largest stage at The Goodman takes up 4000sqft and my stage only took up 5.3% of that at a small 212.75sqft. Because The Goodman has so many shows they dedicate about 220sqft of space for prop storage and I chose to use only 26% of that. Because I wanted to keep the show small and more casual to fit my space without overcrowding it I only have 8.7% of the 856 seats that The Goodman has. I chose to go all out for the concession stand and I gave 45% of the space that The Goodman gave for theirs, which was about 60sqft. The Goodman may not have there own parking garage, most people who go to the show park at the Theater District Self Park just across the street, and just one level takes up 108,900sqft, which is the whole block, because I don't have that kind of space I only have 14.5% that space. That may seem like a low number, but because I have less people going to each show I don't need as many parking spots. I even have an option for valet, which is something The Goodman can't say.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Franco-Prussian War: Was It Just?

The Future King

Leavening Agents 101